Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Can one person change the world?

This thought came to me on my vacation as I was running along the beach in Cancun. As I was focused on my run, I noticed a guest of the resort taking his time to pick up trash that had either been left on the beach or washed ashore. His actions stopped me in my tracks as I processed what I was seeing. His selfless act of taking his time to do something that perhaps others might not ever notice that would make the world better. Do you believe that YOU have the power to make such an impact on others? I believe we all do. Look at Oprah - 25 years ago, she was just another talk show host like Phil Donahue (before Dr. Phil) and Sally Jesse Rafael. Now, people cannot say her name without thinking of what she will do next. What project is she involved in, what book will she recommend, what celebrity will come and stand on her couch, etc. She was not satisfied with the status quo or said, "It is what it is" and has changed the world we live in. We are can inspire each other to be more, to do more, to give more, to love more. We should not settle for anything in life. If we want something different, then we have to be willing to work for that change. More homework - how can you change your life to impact the world? Now, the world does not have to mean the whole world - it always starts smaller. No one ever changed the whole world in one day. In fact, it is still a work in progress. Believe in yourself, follow your heart, and keep yearning for better and accept different. Nothing experienced is ever as you expect it anyway. Most times, in reality it is better. Enjoy the life you have been given and welcome it with open arms and treasure every day. Smile more, feel more and show it. You are one person and you have a purpose. Never, never, never, never give up. Every day, strive to make today better than yesterday, because before we know it, tomorrow will be here. Together, we can change the world.

No comments: