Thursday, February 10, 2011

Take care of me first

I received an email yesterday from a co-worker that literally took my breath away. Now, those that know me know that I love to talk so for me to be almost speechless, it must have really set me reeling. Here it is - "Before you can be anything to anyone, you must first be everything to yourself." - Taylor Thornton. I realized that I cannot serve others unless I serve myself first. I had temporarily lost track of why I am here, writing several times a week, and what dream I am dreaming. I have to continue doing my thing and other things that are not in sync will come at their own time. I have to trust that and have faith. I have to let those things be and they will change on their own. I have no control over any of it. I know this is going to sound funny, but I am really looking forward to next week - the overnight temperatures might be in the mid 20's so I can get out and run. The elliptical is still not doing it for me like running does. I am especially looking forward to March when the temperatures will be a little more realiable. I was recently asked to participate in a half-marathon with a friend from work in October. I am so excited! I have learned over the last month that I am capable of doing more than I think I can, because I believe I can. Attitude is key when adversity shows its ugliness, when we question and doubt, when we feel lost. At those times, we might feel like a dead battery in a car - we cannot do anything, regardless of how many people try. But it is when we get a "jump start" that we roar back to life and we are back to normal. All of our lights work, and we can go places, and we function like we are supposed to again. I am sure we all feel like a dead battery at times. Every week when I say goodbye to my mom, she tells me to "take care of yourself" - I just tell her that I have to because no one else will do it and I am no good to others if I don't. Remember to take care of yourself.

No comments: