Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Can't Do It All

This was my way of life for as long as I can remember. I was predisposed to an environment that gave me no choice but to rely solely on me. No one else. I still fight this every day because it is so hard-wired into who I have been that it is hard for me to "over-ride" that part of the system. I told you about S.E.L.T. some posts ago and because of the Survival instinct that kicked in (at about 14 years old), I was determined to do the best I could all the time. Even now, people think I try to be "Wonder Woman" and they are usually pretty close to hitting the nail on the head. Do you ever have this thought in your head? Do you try to be everything to everyone all the time? You are setting yourself up for failure if you have this type of thinking. You cannot be everything to everyone all of the time. You are lucky if you are meeting that goal half of the time. Let it go. Yes, it will be hard and you will have to tell yourself this over and over until what really matters most to whom it matters when it matters will only be left. I may have to make decisions about some changes in my life that I never thought I would have to make, nor did I see that as something that I would not continue to be involved in for several more years. But as I look deeper at what I want, what really drives me and sends me almost skipping down the street when I share it with Rock, some things have served their purpose. We have to walk away from those things and those people that no longer assist you. Be willing to set things down that you no longer want to carry - eventually it will wear on you and no one looks good carrying all of that. That would be on an episode of "What Not to Wear". Don't deceive yourself into thinking you can do it all...you can't and the sooner you realize it, the better you will be. I promise.

No comments: