Saturday, May 28, 2011

How music affects me

I was walking yesterday morning thinking about the music I was listening to as I welcomed the beautiful new spring morning. As I looked through the songs on myu iPod, I realized that sometimes I skip over some songs I am not in the mood to hear or reply those songs I really need to listen more than once. There is a wide genre - and it does different things to me and affects me in different ways. Normally, when we run, I can listen to just about anything, but Rocky needs to listen to (what else) "Rocky". I enjoy a little funky, 70's music that takes me back to my innocent, childhood days where the world was so easy. A little ABBA, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Donna Summer - it's all good. I also have almost the entire collection of Beatles, Elton John, Billy Joel, Cher, and Beach Boys songs as well. What can I say about the Beatles? All of the others have greatest hits albums, so I like those as well. Then, we have the 80's which includes a little bit of pop and rock-n-roll - (can you say Joan Jett?) - with some Michael Jackson, Wham!, Prince, etc. Since I live in Nebraska (still a California girl at heart, though), I gotta have a little country on there as well. So simple, so heart-felt. Nothing like a little bit of "Chicken Fried", Taylor Swift, and Kenny Chesney. Then there are the songs you just love to hear - they make you cry, they make you feel better about your life, they give you hope. Most are sung by Christian artists, but some are modern and make you want to reach for the stars. Without a doubt, some of my favorites are the ones you have to sing out loud - the ones that make you move and dance, and shake whatever it is you have. I call these songs, "Just for fun" and are a wide mix of current hits, hip hop, and whatever I can find. Of course, "Sweet Caroline" and "Dancing Queen" are on that list. I guess why I decided to share this with you is that we all have different parts of our lives that help us remember our past and forgotten memories and others makes us happy and others help us get through the difficult times. Music is universal - regardless of where we live or what language we speak. It speaks to us and allows us the freedom to get through another day or to celebrate one as well. Remember your loved ones on this Memorial Day weekend. Be safe, be smart, and be you. Let the music guide you and replenish you.

2 comments:

Rocky said...

Hello??? How about a little "Brother Love's Travelin' Salvation Show" as we're walking (more like dancing goofy) 25 incredible miles? Now there's a song!

Michelle Homme said...

I could only smile when I received this comment. That song will ALWAYS remind me of our 25 mile walk. Among other things. :-) Brothers and sistas!!!!