Sunday, May 1, 2011

Unpredictable

Life is so unpredictable. Even if we think we know, we really don't know for sure. We might have a pretty good idea. And how boring would life be if we knew what was going to happen next before it really happened? There is a movie starring Nicholas Cage called, "Next" where he can actually see what will happen before it does and althought it can be useful, I think it would be a huge burden. Our lives take us on paths we never thought we would be on, and yet we find ourselves in better situations than we ever thought possible. Growing up, I never thought I would move away from Southern California. Now, I have lived and raised our sons in the Omaha, Nebraska area where my husband grew up. I have never regretted that decision and when we visit my family in California, I usually cannot wait to get back home to Nebraska. When I was in high school and college, I wanted to go to law school and be an attorney. Some people might say that I loved to argue (maybe just share my point) and love to talk to so they seemed to go hand in hand. Plus, I love government, but hate politics. I am not an attorney, nor do I desire to be one. I have worked in several different industries, but now have a job where I can make a difference in other people's lives. That gives me the ultimate joy. Plus, I do other things that make me feel good where I can use my talents to get things accomplished. But the biggest job I have right now is you. This blog is something I never thought I would find myself compelled to do and write on at least every couple of days. I was noticing that I have written much more than last year, because my posts so far this year almost total all of last year. I was in a situation Friday night where I felt like I was kind of put on the spot with someone I had just met talking about my next adventure, and I wasn't quite ready for that. But I need to learn to be. I had not expected this part of my life to come to the surface so quickly with this new friend. I understand why it did, and looking back perhaps I did not handle it the way I should have. Sorry, Rock. I guess the message for this post is to let go of trying to have it all planned out, already decided, and set in motion. I had predicted how the night would go before I even got there without giving it a chance to just happen. For some reason, I was nervous and excited all at the same time, knowing how important it was for someone else. In addition to meeting this new friend, I met her daughter and somehow found myself "doing my thing" without any planning and ended up just being me. When we are young, we never would have imagined or predicted that our lives would be where they are, but I will tell you what. "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." Sometimes, just sometimes, we end up with more we could have ever imagined. Embrace life for what it is...a living, changing, unpredictable part of you that makes the world better because you are in my life.

No comments: