Monday, August 15, 2011

Through rose-colored glasses

As Rocky and I finished our normal routine this morning and crested the hill near her house, we turned our gaze to the east and were met with a beautiful display of a red-tinted sky just as the sun was about to clear the horizon. That is true beauty. On my drive home, I continued that journey towards the endless hues that were before me. It was perfect. It was confirmation that I am here and that things are always better than they seem. Even when we think that the cards are stacked against us, and we hit a few speed bumps along the way. They are reminders of the road we are on and keeps us in check. Sometimes, we forget those things that are the most important above all else. How do you see things? I have to admit for a very long time, I was more of a pessimist than an optimist. I actually get very defensive when it is brought to my attention, because I am embarrassed about it. Especially now. It makes me be reminiscent of my past life and I don't want to ever go back to that. I still fight through that, but not as much as I used to. For a very long time, I don't think I had hope. I saw only what I could see right at that moment, not what could be. I didn't allow myself to dream. I wasn't inspired or motivated to change anything because I didn't believe I could. I didn't have people that believed in me and loved me because I was just me. How many of you feel that same way? Why do we do that to ourselves? What alternatives do we have? SO MANY!!! Life has so much to offer us when we say "yes" to life. And not just that, but really see how life can be. Baby steps...you can change your life with one little, itty bitty baby step. Every time you change even the smallest of things, your life is different. Including your perspective and the hope you carry with you. Make your life contagious in a great way. Draw people to you - it will happen when you are being your best self. On any given day, my favorite color is blue. Today, my favorite color is rose.

No comments: