Thursday, January 13, 2011

One step back, then two steps forward

Ok, maybe it was really two steps back then two steps forward, and that would put me back at the same place I was to begin with. I forget if I have ever mentioned how much I dislike the elliptical. There... I have said it...moving on. Tuesday morning, I get up to use the dreaded machine, and maybe I was not feeling well, but normally the programmed workout takes me up to level 8, but I was not in the mood for it. Every time it changed the level to something higher than 5, I reduced it. I don't know why, but I just told myself, I am not in the mood to work that hard this early in the morning. Yesterday, I didn't even get on the thing. In the past, I have pushed myself to work hard during the week and then take a day off closer to the weekend. This was Wednesday and then I rebeled even more by buying myself two donuts for breakfast ( I only ate 1 1/2) and felt no sense of guilt. This morning, I got up and did my workout without any complaining and it was better. Sometimes, I forget to cut myself some slack and just stop pushing so hard. I know I have done that most of my life and am learning how to forgive myself. Maybe it was the extra hour of sleep, maybe it was all of the sugar in the donuts, maybe it was none of it. I had to allow myself to be "less than par" (for you golfers) and we all have days where going back actually helps propel us forward. Do you have days like that? If you do, and I know you do, are you aware of them and recognize them for what they are? I hope this day brings everything you need to move ahead in your journey of life, but also be accepting that on that road sometimes, we have to take time to see what is around us, reminisce about treasured memories, and only then can we move ahead. Flowers still find ways to grow in the winter - it is done underneath the ground, just waiting for the right time to bloom! Have a blessed day.

No comments: