Sunday, July 17, 2011

Very grateful

I sometimes forget to be grateful for what I value and treasure most in my life. Today, I am reminding myself to be conscious of those exact things and people. I am grateful to my family, especially my husband and our three boys. Living in a house with four men can drive me bonkers half the time, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I am grateful for my wonderful friends (some of you are also family) and what I learn from you and the love you give everyday. I am constantly amazed by the outstretched arms and smiles that come naturally and welcome me every time we see one another. I am grateful to have a little bit of money in the bank, a cool house (it is hot here), and reliable transportation. When was the last time you were grateful for all that you have in your life, and not grumbling about what you DON'T have in your life? We all have stuff we want or things we want to be different. That is a human desire and yearning. But we can also find ways to change our perspective about whatever circumstances we are in at the present moment. It amazes me sometimes how some people can hold onto being a pessimist and always looking at what is wrong, instead of what is right. Excuses come to the surface instead of understanding the lesson that you should be learning from the experience. You have to learn to let go and find a new way of looking at things. I have been called a "ding-dong" a couple of times when my thinking is off kilter, and that is my reminder of where I need to be. We all need to be reminded every now and again. Have you ever done a grateful journal? Every day, you have to write three things you are grateful for and you can have no repeats...ever. They do not have to be extravagant or luxurious. I have been grateful for a warm bed in the dead of winter or clean water on a blistering hot day (like today). You will be suprised at how many GOOD things you have in your life. No one is perfect and therefore, no one's life is perfect. Some things are worth fighting about and other things aren't. Don't be envious of others that may have something "more" than you - they may be lacking in other areas you don't know about and maybe they think you have "more". Life is not a competition; in fact, many times just showing up is a feat in itself. I have had to look hard, really hard in past situations where I could only find the negative. For days, that is what I saw in one particular situation. I couldn't let go and get past it and if I didn't I was going to be stuck there. We were going to be stuck, but no one could help me. I had to do it on my own. In that situation, I learned what someone would do for me, even against my will. I still keep the voice message she left me that day as a reminder. I am grateful for the sun coming up each morning when we run and am grateful even when I don't get what I think I deserve. Be grateful and you will appreciate your life more and all that you have in it. But you have to be willing to see it and know that your cup runeth over....

No comments: