Sunday, October 16, 2011

Find your tribe

I have often wondered where I belong, never really believing that it was ever right. It never felt "right". Maybe you are not sure either. Listen...we all are there at one time or another. Where we are the orange in a bag of apples. But you KNOW it when it is right. Something just clicks. You don't have to try very hard, if at all. Kind of like me and Rock. I grew up in Southern California and never felt that I belonged there. In fact, if you did not know better, most would say they would have guessed that I was born and raised in Nebraska. Apparently, I do not "act like I am from California." Maybe it is because I do not say, "dude!" or "like" all the time. However, I do catch myself with a few surfer slangs with "tubular" and "awesome" from time to time. You know what they say, you can take the girl out of California...I remember moving here in the middle of January, not knowing another soul besides my husband, 1500 miles from my family, and pregnant. He travelled three out of four weeks of the month, so I was alone most of the time. My family was my tribe and I missed my sisters and maybe the weather, too. It is imperative that we have a sense of belonging to anything...a team...the G.I.F.T....a family...a church. It is what grounds us with like minds and like goals. The good of the group was always put forth as the most important goal with true tribes and that is still true today. I know it is a cliche, but there is no "I" in "TEAM." The tribe you belong to may not be the one you think you should be with; as the group changes, so will you. Just know that when you find it, it will be one of the easiest things you carry with you from that point forward. Because you are no longer alone...you have someone right beside you every step of the way.

No comments: