Friday, November 4, 2011

Practice what we preach

Yesterday, I was preached to about something I really didn't believe and want to talk about. In fact, I am pretty sure I was not doing what I was being told I was doing, but I am trying to look at it from their point of view. Sometimes, getting something "thrown back at us" is not meant to hurt, but meant to get us to wake up - to pay attention. I still don't think it was to the point that LH was telling me it was, but I also needed to be reminded that I need to practice what I preach. I might have made a mistake in telling Rock too much today about that same topic, but I cannot take it back now. Why is it so hard when we can tell someone something and then if they tell us the same thing, we are offended by it? We dismiss it as being untrue? When comments are made to us like that it is usually something we don't want to hear, but might need to hear. Has that ever happened to you? When you almost want to kick yourself because your words are coming back to haunt you in ways you never thought they would? If that has never happened to you, I would take a good look around at your friends and family. Because the ones that will be honest with you will tell you the truth, even if it means you might be mad at them. Admitting that someone else might be right, even if you have never said a word, is difficult. People pick up on things and those that really care will pay attention, regardless of how hard you try to hide it. I have been pretty successful at hiding for most of my life, and even when I let a few things escape from time to time, people's memory is not short, by any stretch of the imagination. Nope. It doesn't work that way. It is easy to give advice to others, but upsets us when we have advice given to us. We cannot always practice what we preach, but that is why we have others in our life...to remind us from time to time that they are watching and will take you back to what you believe and should be doing. Striking that chord sometimes is not what someone wants to hear, but needs to hear. Do the best you can and try hard at practicing what you preach.

No comments: