Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Be beautiful

Back in May, someone gave me a new outfit to wear for a family function. It was WAAAY outside my comfort zone but I trusted her judgement and allowed her to show me what I could be and how it was different than what I was. She actually wanted the clothes I was wearing to reflect how I felt inside - beautiful. Even in October, when a similar situation came about and she walked me to a mirror to see what she saw, I deflected. I didn't believe that I could be beautiful on the outside. I have never been a girly-girl and I think I was described as "cute". On the inside, I have no doubt that my heart, my soul, my everything is something beautiful, so why don't I let myself be beautiful on the outside? Why is it so hard for me to accept? Why can't I see what others see? It still makes me feel uncomfortable, but I try every day to take the compliments when they come, even if it is difficult for me to do so. Today, I wore something I never thought I would wear, even though I bought it. I wore it to work for the first time and received many compliments on the jacket you see in the picture of me. I never thought I could wear anything like that as I know it would bring attention to me. But I wore WAAAY different jewelry with it and so more than ever before, people noticed me and I was beautiful today. I can shine from the inside out but have never really accepted that my willingness to shine must also be noticed from the outside as well. They have to go hand in hand and the work more effectively that way also. So, if you think you can't be...if you think you are not deserving of it...if you think it is for someone else...I am here to tell you that you can be beautiful. Let yourself be. Share that beauty with the rest of us who are in awe of it and will always treasure the way it made us feel because of the way you felt...beautiful.

No comments: