Thursday, December 15, 2011

The G.I.F.T. 11-29-11

Hello, everyone...here is the summary from last month's meeting...

“I give to life exactly what I want life to give to me.”

Has anyone done anything different since we last met? Have you asked and answered yourself any of the questions? I shared with the group about my first big speaking enagement, a possible new opportunity that may come in January, continued reaching to other organizations, and the success of my blog.

We talked about fears and why we let them win. Why? Because it is easier to do nothing than it is to do something.

We do what is expected of us, even if we don’t want to. Look at your families who have generations that have the same vocation – firefighters, electricians, etc – Why do they pick the same type of work? Is because they love it too or because they are influenced by the people in their family? My parents are teachers. What happens if the message you are getting is different than the message that the family is sending to you? How do we know which one to follow? The easy one. The voice we usually follow is the one that will create the least amount of friction. Going against the grain is never easy. But if it is right, then the people that are against you will follow. Have you ever had someone want something for your life that you didn’t want? Do we still allow their voices to be heard over our own voice and heart? Why or why not? Who decides? Who should decide?

EXERCISE: Use your book. Write down five things people thought you should have done with your life. Write down the five things you want to still do. Most of the group could only come up with a couple for each and several people shared what they wrote down.

Quotes: “My intuition is always on my side. I trust it to be there at all times.”
“Each problem has a solution and all experiences are opportunities for me to learn and grow.”
“It is my birthright to deserve all that is good.”
“The past is over and done and has no power over me. Today’s thoughts create my future.”
“I constantly have new insights and new ways of looking at my world.”

Sharing our dreams: why is it easier to share with people we don’t know vs. our families? I shared again with how easy it was for me to admit that I was unhappy with my weight with Rocky when I first met her. Never told a family member or even someone I had known longer. Why? Because I thought she wouldn’t judge; she wouldn’t hold me accountable; she wasn’t vested in anything (yet); I thought it didn’t matter to her. I was wrong.

Knock on doors and share – open up.
People will wonder what your inner voice says to you and why. You know it when it feels right. You will fall in love with it. It will be difficult and make you do more than maybe you thought you were signing up for, but it will be something you treasure every day and twice on Sunday. It will fill your heart with such joy that you cannot imagine it not being here. It will be indescribable. Sometimes it is something that you never saw yourself doing, you have no knowledge about, but it calls to you. You have to answer.

What happens if something gets in the way? Because it will. And usually what you think it will be that causes you headaches, isn’t really a big thing. It will be something you never thought of – even the perfect plans can find a loop hole.

What is meaningful work to you? Do we think we have to choose between meaningful and your job? Can they be both? What is your dream job? Remind yourself of a time when you did something good? Maybe for someone else? How did it make you feel? Why don’t we try to do that as much as possible?

You have heard the phrase, “Life is not a sprint, but a marathon.” Should we train for it? How? 15 minutes a day is all it takes. Then you consciously choosing and dedicating those 15 minutes became something you don’t even think about – it becomes a part of you. I never thought that we trying to lose weight and "running" would become what I do and something that I love to do.

“I believe more in the chance of something new than the knowing in the guarantee of something old.” – Michelle Homme

No comments: